CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Thing #20...YouTube

YouTube is something that I have used off and on for 3 or 4 years now. I don't usually watch a lot of full television programs on it, but like music videos and stuff are handy to watch on YouTube.

I've always liked YouTube because it's pretty simple to use and it's really easy to find one kind of video that you like, and once you've watched that one, you can choose from the list of other suggested videos on the right and see more like it. I have always liked that feature.

The video I chose to view for this assignment was a video that one of our library co-workers made! It's really cute and very well done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZ4S8IlxuE

Jeff Pospisil and his wife Erinn, made this video using their son Asa's toys! They made it using iVideo I think. I was really impressed with the video and he says that in less than 5 days it's had over 400 hits.

I think being able to comment on videos can be both good and bad. The good side, which I think could be utilized by libraries, is being able to rate things and comment on things and other patrons could see what people think of an item.

The down side to that is non-constructive criticism, as well as just outright rudeness and flaming between parties. The library would have to have someone monitor comments or have some sort of tools installed to control that sort of thing.

I like that you can click on the stars and give the videos a star rating, which I think we could do with library books. This kind of rating would cut back on rude commenting, and just give users a simple rating for an item.

0 comments: